DNA Testing Companies Overview
DNA Test Companies with focus on genalogy (ancestry, genetic relatives).
- 1 FTDNA (US), iGENEA (EU)
- 2 Genographic Project
- 3 23andMe (US)
- 4 Other Companies
- 5 Comparisons & Future
- 6 References
FTDNA (US), iGENEA (EU)
338.186 tests from 2001 to 2011 (with Geneographic Project?). Tested 600,000 people (Nov. 2011).
- iGENEA of Gentest.ch GmbH 1 from Zürich/CH. CEO: Joëlle Apter. Former CEOs: Michael von Arx Apter, Inma Pazos. Links: Bams, Beobachter Springer dispute: a, b.
- mtDNA basic: HVR1 + Haplogroup: €79;
- mtDNA basic plus: HVR1 + HVR2 + Haplogroup: €119;
- mtDNAPlus: HVR1 and HVR2 + haplogroup, origins, online-updates: $159;
- mtDNA premium: HVR1 + HVR2 + Haplogroup + Orig./Rel.: €179;
- FMS (mtFullSequence): HVR1 / HVR2 / Coding Region + haplogroup, origins, online-updates: $299
- mtDNA expert: full mtDNA-Sequence (FGS) + Haplogroup + Subgroup + Orig./Rel. + FamilyFinder: €699
- Y-DNA basic: 12 Marker + Haplogroup: €89;
- Y-DNA basic plus: 37 Marker + Haplogroup: €129;
- Y-DNA 37 Marker: haplogroup, origins, online-updates: $169;
- Y-DNA 67 Marker: haplogroup, origins, online-updates: $268;
- Y-DNA premium: 37 Marker + Haplogroup + Deep Clade SNP (Subgroup) + Orig./Rel.: €299;
- Y-DNA 111 Marker: haplogroup, origins, online-updates: $359
- Y-DNA expert: 67 Marker + Haplogroup + Deep Clade SNP (Subgroup) + Orig./Rel. + FamilyFinder: €629
- Y-DNA Deep Clade Tests: R $89, E $99, I $79, J $99, N $79, Q $79 - R €83, E €89, I €73, J €89, G €73, N € 73, O €89, Q €73, H €73.
- WTY (Walk Through the Y): ~250,000 bp (over 10k unique), only for accepted customers to discover new SNPs and refine the Y-Tree. $750
- Kombi basic: Y-DNA basic + mtDNA basic: €159;
- Kombi basic plus: Y-DNA basic + mtDNA basic: €219;
- Kombi premium: Y-DNA premium + mtDNA premium: €399;
- Kombi expert: Y-DNA expert + mtDNA expert: €999
Autosomal DNA + X-DNA
Chromosome 1 to 22 and X (no Y and mt is included!) with standard Illumina OmniExpress. Family Finder: to get in contact with relatives (people that share DNA parts) + Population Finder: $289 - €249 (was €239 in August 2011).
- raw data download: v2 raw data has ~725,000 SNPs
- Autosomal DNA: ~707,000 SNPs
- X-DNA: ~18,000 SNPs
National Geographic Society, Ancestry Genome Service over FTDNA Labs. Fall 2012.
Geno 2.0 - atDNA + X-DNA + Y-DNA + mtDNA
Geno 2.0 for $199.95
- atDNA + X-DNA: ~130,000 SNPs
- over 12,000 Y-SNPs
- 3,352 mtDNA SNPs
Autosomal DNA + X-DNA + Y-DNA + mtDNA
Illumina OmniExpress Plus customized. Ancestry services: Relative Finder (1 million loc. autosomal DNA - similarities), Global Origins, Ancestral Lineages. Subscription $207 ($99 + $9/month for 1 year) / one time $399 + ca. $64 international shipping (incl. return) = $271 or $463 (ca. €208 or €355)
Credit Card (Mastercard, Visa, etc.) - discount codes available.
- raw data download: v3-only-data has ~960,000 SNPs
- Autosomal DNA: ~930,000 SNPs
- X-DNA: ~26,000 SNPs
- Y-DNA: 1800-3000 SNPs, medium Haplogroup deepness (Tree of 2008, some main subgroup is missing)
- mtDNA: ~2500 SNPs, deep Haplogroup clades
- DNA Testing by Ancestry.com; Utah/USA, LU, London/UK, CA, AU, NZ (SorensonGenomics?)
Y-DNA 33 or Y-DNA 46, haplogroup: $149-$179
mtDNA: HVR 1 & 2, rCRS, Haplogroup: $179
AncestryDNA: Autosomal test in final dev (spring 2012): 700,000 SNPs, no raw data download?
- Lumigenix (newcomer: founded 2010): Australian-based, offering Illumina chip-based genotyping service:
Autosomal DNA + Y-DNA + mtDNA ~ 732,000 SNPs (HumanOmniExpress+) + 2,700 Y/mt, download of raw data, ancestry analysis and information on 2000 maternal and paternal haplogroups, global similarity and global ancestry. $479 USD. Full Genome per request.
- GeneTree - Wikipedia by Sorenson Molecular Genealogy Foundation - SMGF from Utah/USA (Wikipedia): mtDNA HVR-1,2,3; Y-DNA 46 marker
- The DNA Ancestry Project by Genebase in USA/CA by Genetrack Biolabs in CA/USA - 100.000 samples per year: Y-DNA STR Test (44,67,91 Marker), Y-DNA SNP Haplogroup/Subclade, mtDNA HVR-1 + HVR-2, mtDNA SNP, Full mtDNA Sequencing, Autosomal DNA (15-19 STR Markers)
- Britains DNA is active under the brand Scotlands DNA (specialises in Scottish ancestry). The company worked under the name EthnoAncestry in London & Scotland (Wilson, Cavalleri) and was active from 2004 to 2011 and offered mtDNA, Y-STR, Y-SNP and TGAC interpretation (for 23andMe or DeCodeMe Tests).
- Oxford Ancestors - Oxford/UK - Bryan Sykes: ancestral clan mother, Y-Clan signature (paternal clan, 15 Markers)
- GEN by GEN in Göttingen/DE: Y-Genotyping / "ancient mother" 9 Alleles
- AncestrybyDNA, former brand of DNAPrint Genomics (Wikipedia) inactive since Feb. 2009; AncestrybyDNA-Website actualized 2011? (probably acquired by DDC / DNA Diagnostics Center in Ohio/USA): simple mtDNA, Y-DNA and Autosomal Tests (some Markers)
- DNA Consultants from Phoenix/USA. Autosomal: test (18 Markers), ancestry, matches to populations
- DNA Tribes Genetic Ancestry Analysis in Virginia/USA - Wikpedia: Autosomal Test (15-27 STR Markers)
No Ancestry / Genealogical focus
- deCODE genetics in Reykjavík, Iceland offers complete genetic scan (deCODEme) with 1.2 million SNPs (Illumina Infinium HumanIM chip) for $1,100 USD. Demo. data download should be possible.
Comparisons & Future
23andMe v3 - Family Finder v2
23andMe v3 (960,545 SNPs) to Family Finder v2 (726,183 SNPs) in Dec. 2011.:
- 699,674 in common
- 260,871 on 23andMe v3 but not Family Finder v2
- 26,509 on Family Finder v2 but not 23andMe v3
Possible new offers
- Illumina HumanOmni5-Quad BeadChip Kit: 4.3 million SNPs + 0.5 million custom SNPs (6x Illumina OmniExpress, SNPs selected from the International HapMap and 1000 Genomes Projects!), the kit should be available for companies in 2012.
- FTDNA WTY v2: FTDNA 454 testing data (since Nov. 2011), 8 million bp (30x WTY v1), prices goal under $1000, not available (spring 2012)
- whole genome sequencing in one day and for under $1,000: Illumina HiSeq 2500, Life Technologies Ion Proton Sequencer, Oxford Nanopore Technologies MinION USB Stick (mid 2013?)
- Cynthia (CeCe) Moore, Family Tree DNA's 7th International Conference on Genetic Genealogy- Day One , November 7, 2011, http://www.yourgeneticgenealogist.com/2011/11/family-tree-dnas-7th-international.html
- Thomas Krahn, Nov. 2011, http://www.dna-fingerprint.com/static/FTDNA-Conference-2011-WalkThroughY.pdf
- James Lick, Comparing v3 SNP List to v2, deCODE, Family Finder, DNA-Forums.org, 06 December 2011 (Offline)